In terms of comparing the two different formats, I found the "points to consider" portion of the word document easier to read and more clearly organized. Perhaps it was due to the bold letters and the color of the text. On the other hand, the PDF format had the "access devices" portion of the information more clearly organized. Mostly due to the fact that it wasn't floating about in a white background. As such, all of these different factors made me realize just how important visual representations are in learning. In addition, I also thought about how I could incorporate sound and student participation into the document.
Dr. Keller's insight was extremely fascinating. I was really moved with his sense of pride. I guess I never really thought about some of things he brought up. Particularly his story about not wanting to use the cane and sometimes pretending to be drunk on the subway in order to hide his blindness. It reminded me about this one particular student that I worked with, who hated it when his para helped him in class. I always got the sense that he might be embarrassed because he was the only who had a para in a classroom of thirty students. And after hearing Dr. Keller's story, perhaps he was embarrassed.
This story also segues into the difference between using the terms assistive vs. adaptive technology. In someways, I felt that Dr. Keller was alluding to the fact that the term assistive technology had a negative connotation attached to it, not as extreme as calling him a cripple but negative and degrading nonetheless.
Finally, Dr. Keller's assertion that just because a teacher throws a piece of adaptive technology at a student that would benefit them, doesn't mean that they would necessarily want to use it. This idea made me realize how important it is to take into account yours students feelings when making a decision about their education. Because if you don't consider this, you might actually cause a lot more harm than you'll ever know. I hate to sound so dramatic, but growing up in a "white town" as one the few minorities in it, I still vividly remember a lot instances when my feelings or culture were not taken into account.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Julio:
After many years of helping people with disabilities choose assistive technology for their own needs, I'm more than ever impressed by the importance of affective reactions, compared to logical decision-making. As an occupational therapist, I value independence very highly and feel it "should" be the primary factor. When people are unwilling to use technology that can clearly help them function more independently because of the way it looks, or their idea that it draws attention to their disabilities, or because they'd rather let someone else perform the function for them, I get frustrated.
Nevertheless, after I have explained all the benefits of a device, I write my report recommending what that person wants, rather than what I think is best.
The simple fact is, if people don't like the devices, they won't use them. Period.
Post a Comment