(note the size of the PEC
in comparison to my small
carnie hand)
The set of instructions that I chose to highlight for my UDL project are taken directly from my job. Which just to remind everyone is at a private school for autistic students. The school uses an ABA approach to teaching, well at least theoretically, and the pupil to student ratio is 1:1.
One of the children that I work with makes a salad everyday as part of his adaptive living skills curriculum. The method that was implemented to teach him this task was a PEC board that uses small digital pictures organized horizontally in the sequential order of the task. This method works wonderfully until he gets to step. 11, which he hasn't been able to master or move on from for about 6 weeks now.
Step.11- Turn on water & rinse vegetables for 10 seconds while moving colander from side to side. (This is the written set of instructions that I follow on my task analysis sheet when assessing his performance).
Step.11 (which student uses)- Digital picture still (about size of matchbook) depicting a colander filled with salad, running under water. However, because it is a still photograph, it cannot show the desired action of moving the colander from side to side.

3 comments:
Hmmmmmm . . . I like it and I'm looking forward to seeing your solution.
Is there an explination behind the use of color in your description? A legend would be helpful.
If you need assistance feel free to call or wite.
Julio: Great example of using an alternate form (picutes instead text) of instructions. It also shows that any form of communicating instructions can be either clear or less-clear.
By the way, do you remember what PECS stands for? It's not a plural of a word "pec" -- there is no such word, as far as I know. Picture Exchange Communication is a method of communicating with people who don't relate well to text. Each picture or photo is an "S", a symbol, not a "PEC." One of my colleagues, a speech pathologist who specializes in augmentative communication, is always grousing about this very common error; I felt obligated to try to stamp it out where I could.
I really like this idea. The PEC board simplifies the instructions and makes written instructions unnecessary. Have you tried modeling the desired behavior for the last step? An "I do, we do, you do" approach?
Post a Comment