In the first part of my UDL assignment I discussed a specific step in a task that one of my students could not master. It involved not being able to decipher a PEC that was intended to instruct a student to move a colander filled with salad from side to side under running water.
My steps that I would implement to help the student master this task would be:
1. Create a PEC of a play button found on the many portable DVD players in the school, and placing the PEC in the corresponding spot of his PEC board of how to make a salad.
2. Shoot a video on a camcorder from a first person point of view of moving a colander side to side under running water for 10 seconds. This video clip would also contain a person off camera counting to ten and saying "side to side" while the colander was under water.
3. Placing a portable player DVD player on the window sill that is directly behind the sink, and having the DVD cued to the point where when he presses the play button the segment that I recorded starts playing.
The reason I chose this UDL approach is because it taps into the auditory and visual aspects of his brain. The still photo of a PEC did not represent a clear enough instruction of what he was supposed to do and for how long. On the other hand, the video will present a concise instruction or protocol of what to do and for how long.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
hmmmm . . . I'm wondering if this will detract from the task at hand? I also wonder if there is a less complicated solution? I honestly don't know the answer to either question. I hope your peers will share their insights with you.
Again, I love your example and I am really excited to read/watch/hear about the outcome.
Post a Comment