Saturday, November 17, 2007

Chapter 6 UDL

I really enjoyed reading this chapter because it was well organized and highlighted key points that made a lot of sense to me. For instance, I was in total agreement with the authors statement that "recognition networks need exposure to multiple examples. By seeing, hearing, smelling, or touching many instances of a pattern, recognition networks can extract the critical features that define that pattern and identify new instances that share those features. Thus, exposure to multiple examples supports bottom-up recognition processes." This idea also applies to the manner in which students express what they have learned. As such, UDL needs to be implemented in these situations because as the article states "another essential part of teaching a strategic skill is providing learners with chances to demonstrate that skill. Demonstration challenges learners to consolidate and apply all parts of the process. It also elicits feedback from a broader audience...In this way, demonstrating skills and knowledge can factor powerfully into motivation, helping learners experience the "why" of learning."
Furthermore, the chapter also pointed out how multimedia needs to used in order to make individualized approaches to teaching feasible, and I completely agree with that statement and point of view because of what I have experienced in this class. Using multimedia in the classroom really does facilitate a complete UDL approach.

No comments: